Sunday, January 29, 2006

Think Private Schools Are Better Than Public? Think Again

Some surprising (to some--not me) evidence that public schools, after controlling for various socioeconomic factors, do just as well or better than private schools.
I'm a public school teacher and I get pretty tired of conservatives and their ugly and unfounded attacks on my colleagues and me. Here's some tangible evidence that the rightwing attack on public schools remains what it has always been--a fraud.
Remember: public schools must, by law, accept everyone. We in the public schools don't have the luxury of turning kids down or kicking them out whenever we feel like it. Private schools do. And can you imagine the "science education", with its emphasis on creationist idiocy, that a lot of kids in religious private schools are getting?

No comments: