Sunday, October 09, 2005

What I Want America to Be, What I DON'T Want It to Be, Part One: In the World

I want America to be an example to the world of a well-run democratic republic. I want it to be militarily strong, capable of defending both its territory and its genuine interests overseas. I do not want to see it become an empire in any sense of the word. I do not want it to be the international policeman. I do not want to see America trying to impose its vision of universal democracy on the rest of the planet. (That particular obsession should have died with Woodrow Wilson.) I explicitly reject the goals of the so-called Project for a New American Century, the architects and adherents of which run the Bush Administration. I want America to cooperate with the international community as much as possible, setting for itself the following goals:

1. The elimination of terrorists through a shrewd combination of
military action, intelligence, and police work.
2. International action to reduce poverty, particularly in Africa,
through non-discriminatory trade policies, carefully targeted
aid, restructuring or forgiveness of debt, and the encouragement of
local,low capital free enterprise projects.
3. International action to control potential pandemics.
4. International action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and develop
viable energy alternatives.
5. Reform of the United Nations without gutting its chief functions.
6. The building of mutual respect among the United States and all members
of the international community.
7. International cooperation to end the horrible conflicts in the Sudan
and the Congo.
8. A Middle East settlement that both guarantees Israel's survival and
the establishment of a Palestinian state.


U.S. foreign policy must not be predicated on the control of oil. The Saudis should be put under heavy pressure to stop bankrolling terrorism and Islamic fundamentalism. Relations with Europe should be repaired.

I do not want the United States to invade or attack Syria, Iran, or North Korea, however vile and despicable their governments are (and they are). I want deterrence to be the policy used to control and sober the leadership of those countries, especially North Korea and Iran on the question of the use of nuclear weapons. (I always say that one or two Trident submarines in the vicinity of a trouble-maker can have a remarkably calming effect.)

I do not want the U.S. to take any action, overt or covert, to overthrow the government of Venezuela or any other country on this planet. We've done enough of this, and it has seldom come out well.

I want U.S. corporations to set examples in the Third World to other nations' corporations. I want to see U.S. companies offer decent wages and working conditions to all those who work for them. I want no explotation of child labor whatsoever. I want U.S. companies to operate in humane, respectful, and environmentally responsible ways throughout the world. Period.

I want the U.S. to stand for genuine free enterprise throughout the world, not the corrupt, crony-laden form of doing business that so often characterizes economic life on this planet.

I want to see an end to the attitude of American exceptionalism that says we are the true, God-given power in the world, and that the rest of humanity must bow to us.

I want an America that is both proud of its place in the world, and yet humble enough to stop trying to run the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to tell people that I'm a democrat without worried about being chastised.

Joseph Miller said...

Then you've come to the right place! Login with Blogger and tell the world you're a Democrat, loudly and proudly!