Sunday, May 29, 2011

Poem: The semantics of flowers on Memorial Day

Historians will tell you my uncle
wouldn’t have called it World War II
or the Great War plus One or Tombstone


over My Head. All of this language
came later. He and his buddies
knew it as get my ass outta here


or fucking trench foot and of course
sex please now. Petunias are an apology
for ignorance, my confidence


that saying high-density bombing
or chunks of brain in my cold coffee
even suggests the athleticism


of his flinch or how casually
he picked the pieces out.
Geraniums symbolize the secrets


life kept from him, the wonder
of variable-speed drill and how
the sky would have changed had he lived


to shout it’s a girl. My hands
enter dirt easily, a premonition.
I sit back on my uncle’s stomach


exactly like I never did, he was
a picture to me, was my father
looking across a field at wheat


laying down to wind. For a while,
Tyrant’s War and War of World Freedom
and Anti-Nazi War skirmished


for linguistic domination. If
my uncle called it anything
but too many holes in too many bodies


no flower can say. I plant marigolds
because they came cheap and who knows
what the earth’s in the mood to eat.

- Bob Hicok, from Insomnia Diary

Hat Tip: My dear friend Paul Claycomb

No comments: